David Johnson's Travel Blog
Bicycle Trip 1999
Okefenokee 2002
Anza-Borrego 2003
Texas 2003
Road Trip West 2003
Sequoia National Park 2004
Hiking Florida 2005
Nomadic 2005
Bicycle Trip 2009
Bicycle Trip 2010
Nomadic 2010
Little Bicycle Trip 2011
Wisconsin Bicycle Trip 2011
Bicycle Trip 2011
Nomadic 2011
Kayak Trip 2012
Nomadic 2012
Liverworks Productions
Nomadic 2013
Liverworks Productions
Texas Pig Hunting
Bicycle Trip 2014
Bicycle Trip 2015
Biking West 2015
Chickens and Pheasants 2016
Biking About 2016
New Zealand 2016
10/30   Right is Left
10/31   Omeru Scenic Reserve
11/01   Omamari Beach
11/02   Waipoua Forest
11/03   Mail Boxes and a Magic Orange
11/04   Cape Reinga
11/05   Ninety Mile Beach
11/06   Haruru Falls
11/07   Russell Forest
11/08   Bus and Ferry
11/09   Thames
11/11   Castle Rock
11/12   Hot Water Beach
11/13   Owharoa Falls
11/14   Thompson's Track
11/15   Rotorua
11/17   Rotorua Rain
11/18   Haku Falls
11/19   Pureora Forest Park
11/20   Waitomo Glowworm Caves
11/21   Marokopa
11/22   New Plymouth
11/25   Pukeiti Rain Forest
11/26   Boring Highway 3
11/27   Boring Highway 1
11/29   Switching Gears
11/30   Hitchhikie
12/01   Abel Tasman National Park
12/02   Rawhiti Cave
12/03   Mount Robert
12/04   Glaciers
12/05   Mount Aspiring
12/06   Milford Sound
12/07   Stirling Point
12/08   The Catlins
12/09   Tunnel Beach
12/10   Sandfly Beach
12/11   Mount Cook
12/12   Cave Stream
12/14   Long Day Home
Kayak Trip 2017

Long Day Home


tl;dr: It took me two or three days to get back home, depending on how you count them.

Yesterday I began my trip home. I had three hours to kill before heading to the airport, but my body was like, nope, I'm done. So I just took a walk on the beach.

It turns out Jetstar doesn't really understand how airports work. Though I bought a legitimate connecting flight, there simply isn't enough time to get from one flight to another in Auckland. It is such a known issue that there is a guy at the ticket counter waiting just to tell us we are out of luck. So I have 24 more hours in New Zealand. I really didn't want to take a bus into Auckland, so after talking to a half-dozen rental car agencies, I found one that would hire me a car.

I drove out to Hanua Falls. I then drove to a campground. It turns out this campground requires a pre-booking over the phone, but phones don't work there. There was absolutely nobody else around so I simply drove to a spot that isn't visible from the road.

I'm far back in the woods, and I have the campground to myself. Yet, I can hear music thumping, and I can smell wood burning. Somebody is partying.

Figures. My last night in New Zealand ruined by the locals. Fortunately, the music died out as it got dark.

I slept well.

Today (14th) I drove back to Auckland and got on the red-eye to San Francisco. I didn't really sleep. When I arrived in the morning it was still the 14th. Two more flights to Denver and then to Madison were uneventful. Still the 14th.

Sometime during the flight to Madison my drowsiness wore off. I've read two reasons why this might happen: 1. Your body runs out of the hormone that tells you you are tired. Or. 2. If you are awake for 24 hours your body decides you are in danger and lets you keep going.

Anyway, another trip done. I'm back home. Already bored.

This hostel has a lot of rules. I broke many of them.

good morning New Brighton Pier

from New Brighton Pier

New Brighton Pier

birds on the beach

Auckland traffic

I may have driven a little too close to this curb.

Hunua Falls

tourists at Hunua Falls

Upper Mangatawhiri Campground

waiting in line for my ticket

New Zealand makes you walk through all of this to get to your plane. In case you hadn't already spent enough money here.

bicycle route across the USA

bicycle route across New Zealand's north island

driving route around New Zealand's south island

contact me at le@liverworks.com
< 2016-12-12 Cave Stream 2017-01-28 Southbound and a Bit Down >